Saturday, April 8, 2017

April 3, 2017 El Final

Friends and fam,

It's hard to believe I've reached the end of my mission. I think I'm to the point where my head gets it but my heart doesn't. As excited as I am to be home, there's a lot I'll miss here in Mexico. I'm working on a list of things I love here so I won't forget to do/eat one day when I get the chance to come back and visit haha so stay tuned for the list. 

But here's a fun recap of my mission:

On October 14, 2015, I headed off to Mexico City to start my missionary life. I was blessed with a fun companion from the far land of Montana, Hermana Caldwell, a super fun district, hilarious roommates, a crazy branch presidency, and great instructors. I didn't learn a lot of Spanish there but I learned a little teeny tiny bit about how to be a missionary and had an unforgettable 6 weeks. 

Theeeeeeeen it was off to the real world, so I made it--terrified--to Aguascalientes where I was greeted by Presidente & Hermana Villareal, and assigned my trainer, a slightly crazy and intense but incredible for Ensenada, Baja California Norte: Hermana Muñoz. We headed off to our area, Jardín, in the great state of San Luis Potosí. We were in probably the nicest area of the whole mission and I still complained a lot and suffered a major culture shock but ended up loving every minute. The members instantly became my family and taught me the ways of life in Mexico. 

After my training, I was with Hermana Carmona Y for like a week and a few days then...special transfers to another ward in the same stake called Retornos! 

Honestly I had the worst attitude about Retornos when I got there and was not a fan of my new, very small, dirt-road filled new area, but my crazy Guatemalteca companion, Hermana Castro, the elders, and ward members helped me learned to love the place where I passed my first birthday in the mission and trained a new missionary, Hermana Franco (also Guatemalteca!) and we had tons of fun acting like lunatics and seeing miracles.​

Then I got sent to the great state of Aguascalientes with Hermana Huerta from Mexico City! Our area was full of hills and hardships (sometimes I felt like I was in Ninevah) but also countless miracles. It was one of the most difficult, yet most rewarding transfers of my mission. This same transfer, our new mission presidents, Presidente & Hermana Hernandez arrived! They are some of the greatest human beings to ever walk the earth and I love them LOTS. 

Next transfer they closed our area to sisters and sent me to the other stake with Hermana Juarez, another Guatemalteca, to be her last companions! Another area with great members and a suuuuuuuper fun district! After my comp finished, I spent a transfer with Hermana Garay, my Hondureñan soul sister, then two weeks into our second transfer together we had the blessing of being put in trio with Hermana Rivero from el Estado de México! If a companionship is fun, a trio is even FUNNER (I refuse to accept that funner isn't a word). It was honestly one of the most enjoyable times of my whole mission and then I got sent to the lovely state of Zacatecas.

Zacatecas is in the mountains and has some freakishly intense hills where I enjoyed another Christmas in the mission with Hermana McConaghie from Arizona and another birthday in the mission with Hermana Tolosa from Culiacan!

I'm out of time and the pictures won't load so you'll get the full account shortly....BUT the most important of it all is...

I grew up in Mexico. I came to know my Savior Jesus Christ. I came to understand more profoundly the simple truths of the restored gospel. I learned to love God's children here and try to see them as He does. I've seen more miracles than I can count on all of my fingers and toes 10 times. I've come to know who I am as a child of God and an important player on His team. I know that God has a plan for us and that it's perfect. I'm excited to get home and put in practice everything I've learned here. I love this Gospel and have loved every minute of my service to the Lord in these 18 months. Until we meet again, Mexico. 

See you all in a week!

Con mucho amor, 
Hermana Bird ​

No comments:

Post a Comment